The unofficial start to summer is underway, and it got me thinking about our summer bucket list. This is my first summer where I will not be working in an office so I have a flexible schedule. I’m looking forward to taking the kids out of daycare here and there to check some of these things off of our list! The kids are at the perfect age to really soak in some of these classic summer activities. Even though we are in Saint Louis, all of these things are doable from wherever you are, and can be substituted for whatever is available in your area.
- Go to the Zoo and ride the train – Saint Louis has one of the top rated zoos in the country and the best part is it’s free! We usually make it here a couple of times a year, and the kids are already asking when we can go. Time to get it on the calendar.
- Attend a Cardinals Game – It’s time for us to make it back to a Cards game this season. Henry has only been to one game and that was when he was barely a year old. There’s a fun kids area we want to check out at the stadium too!
- See a Muny Show – The Muny (an outdoor theatre) is a longtime summer tradition in Saint Louis located in Forest Park. They typically offer one kid friendly performance each season and this year it’s Cinderella. I can’t wait to take Layla to her first performance! BONUS – they have a free seats section too!
- Visit a Petting Zoo – This one has been on my mind for a few summers now, but we haven’t made it to this exact location and I’m eager to get the kids there. Where Pigs Fly Farm is located in Linn, MO which is about an hour and 15 min outside of Saint Louis, It’s in a small town near our family lake home. They have sheep, pigs, goats, llamas, alpacas, horses and more!
- Catch Lightening Bugs – I’m definitely a little squeamish when it comes to bugs and that includes lightening bugs haha! My kids however didn’t get this trait of mine which is great! I can’t wait to watch them catch a few this summer!
- Go to an outdoor concert – It seems like every city or town in America has concerts in the park these days. A local park near us has one every Tuesday night, but we have yet to go and I think this may be the summer.
- Attend a county fair – Rides, rodeos, beer gardens, cake walks, air brushed t-shirts…I mean what isn’t to love about a county fair?! We attended one a couple of summers ago (without the kids), but I’m so excited to take the kids this year! I know they will love it!
- Play putt putt golf – This is by far one of my fave summer pastimes and I love that I now have kids old enough to play (kind of), something is telling me Henry won’t be the most cooperative!
- Get frozen custard from Ted Drewes – Another Saint Louis must do, especially on a hot and humid July summer day!
- Have A Water Balloon Fight – I stocked up on these for the summer! Best.invention.ever.
- Visit a splash pad – Such a great way to tire them out!
- Go “treasure” hunting (aka garage sale-ing) – Layla LOVES treasure hunting with me (she so adorably called it that a couple of years ago) and it has stuck. I love showing her some of the things I enjoy doing and passing that on to her!
- Host a lemonade stand – I’m hoping we can get some of the new kids on the block together and host one! Our street has a lot of new families and looking forward to meeting everyone soon!
- Make S’mores – Is this even a question?! A must!
- Watch fireworks on the lake – We love spending many of our summer weekends at the lake, especially over 4th of July! Watching fireworks from the water is so fun! Speaking of 4th of July, be sure to grab these patriotic looks for your littles!
- Take a Road Trip – We are loading up the kids and heading to Kansas City later this summer with their younger cousin and my parents. We are just going for a long weekend, but Kansas City has some fun things to do (i.e. American Girl store, Lego Land, etc). Full blog post to come afterwards!
What’s on your list this summer?! Share it in the comments below!